Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Southport Rugby Football Club app


Club War & Schools History

Rugby resumed on 6th October 1946 when Blackburn were the visitors. It wasn’t certain that the main pitch and facilities at Waterloo Road would be ready and contingency plans were made to use either the Terra Nova* school ground in Lancaster Road or the second team pitch ‘over the wall’ at Hillside.

Just two players from the 1938-39 First Team were still able to play after the war, and only one, the legendary Bobby Scott, returned to Southport. The other E.J. Loader went to New Brighton.

Alderman S.E. Charlton was appointed treasurer of the fund established to raise money for the Plaque, with a request for donations to be sent to the then Martins Bank (now Barclays) in Birkdale village. The fund was fully subscribed enabling the Plaque to be commissioned and erected above the fireplace in the Bar.

At 3pm on Remembrance Day Sunday November 7th 1948 the Plaque was unveiled by His Worship the Mayor of Southport Councillor E. W. Raynor JP at a special ceremony at the club house. Members sang the hymn Oh God, Our Help in Ages Past before being addressed by the Club President Alderman Dr. A. W. Limont JP and the Plaque was dedicated by The Rev. E H. Evans R. N. V. (S.) R.

Following a space for silence Members then said

“ They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them”

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God,
And there shall be no torment tough them, and in the sight
of the unwise they seemed to die, but they are in peace.
(Wisdom 111, 1, 2,)

Following prayers and the placing of a wreath, the playing of the Last Post and the Reveille, the National Anthem was sung.

Sadly the fireplace has now gone.

Over the years the Plaque has been moved around the main club room until 2011 when it was proudly raised into its new position of splendid authority evocatively flanked by the club's treasured historic shields of public schools Bedford, Douai, Fettes, Kings School Rochester, Leys, Manchester GS, Merchants Schools, Reading, Royal high School, Rydal, St Bees, and Trent. The origins of the shields is not known, but could relate to when the club was formed by ex. public school boys and the schools they attended.

Every Remembrance Sunday the Plaque is adorned with wreaths and at 11am the whistles are blown and all ages respectfully observe a minutes silence on and off the pitches in tribute to their glorious forebears who's legacy is there for all to see and to enjoy.

*Whilst this is probably the last link between Terra Nova and the rugby club which had until then straddled both world wars, in a quirky way it still endures as present Chairman Andy Carney now resides in a house which was built by the school. A brief history of the school and the relationship between Old Terranovans and the rugby club is outlined on the next page. Are there any Old Terranovans out there?

Where next?

World War Two In 1939 the government requisitioned the Waterloo Road ground and pavilion and there is no record of
Terra Nova School Towards the end of the 19th century the growing township of Birkdale had become an established locat


Club sponsors