We have a squad that is large enough to field two teams again this year when everyone is available. Consequently, I want to clarify our intended selection policy this year ahead of our first match with Liverpool Collegiate on Sunday.
Our selection policy will be as follows unless or until I notfiy all parents of a change:
• All players will be selected for all friendlies home and away
• We will field two mixed ability teams in friendly matches
• We will use rolling subs to enable us to field two 12 man teams at friendlies
• We will select a single 12 man side plus subs on merit for tournaments and away triangulars
• We will hold home training sessions for players not selected for tournaments and away triangulars
We are encouraged by the club to prioritise participation and player development above team competitive success at the mini level and we will endeavour to ensure all players are given as much playing time as possible, irrespective of ability. Rugby is a late development sport and coaches are reminded not to focus on the more able players at the mini level as stars often come from late developers.
Please ask myself or any of the U11 coaches if you have any questions regarding selection and player development.